Webinar coming on USDA’s Buy Fresh program from United Fresh
Join Agriculture Marketing Service (AMS) and United Fresh for a webinar to further discuss details around the Coronavirus Food Assistance (CFAP) Purchase and Distribution Program at 1 p.m. EDT/10 a.m. PDT Thursday, April 23.
This serves as a fresh produce-specific complement to AMS’s previously held informational webinar on Tuesday, April 21.
- Robert Guenther, Senior Vice President, Public Policy, United Fresh Produce Association
- Mollie Van Lieu, Senior Director, Nutrition Policy, United Fresh Produce Association
- David Tuckwiller, Deputy Administrator, AMS Commodity Procurement Program, USDA
- Chris Purdy, Associate Deputy Administrator, AMS Commodity Procurement Program, USDA
- Tom Brugato, President, Pacific Coast Fruit Company & Chairman, United Fresh Wholesaler-Distributor Board
Register for the webinar here.
USDA will issue a solicitation to invite proposals from offerors to supply commodity boxes to nonprofit organizations, identified by the offeror, on a mutually agreeable, recurring schedule. USDA will award contracts for the purchase of fresh fruits and vegetables, the assembly of commodity boxes and delivery to identified nonprofit organizations that can receive, store and distribute food items.
AMS’s Commodity Procurement Program will procure an estimated $100 million per month in fresh fruits and vegetables. The request for proposals will be open on Friday, April 24, 2020.
For questions, contact Mollie Van Lieu, Senior Director of Nutrition Policy at
USDA has asked that anyone with an interest in participating in the program www.ams.usda.gov/selling-food-to-usda/usda-food-box-distribution-program and review all requirements carefully. According to the solicitations page, there are openings for canned vegetables and dehydrated potato flakes.