United Fresh announces foodservice award winners
Seven chefs and foodservice professionals representing an array of culinary styles and backgrounds will be honored this June as part of the United Fresh Produce Excellence in Foodservice Awards Program. Sponsored by PRO*ACT LLC, and now in its ninth year, the program honors chefs and their companies for their innovative and influential use of fresh produce in the culinary arts. Winners will be honored guests at the United Fresh 2016 convention and trade show, June 20-22 in Chicago.
The 2016 Produce Excellence in Foodservice Award winners are:
- Business in Industry: Chef Craig Tarrant, Culinary Director; Chef Elijah Coe; Executive Chef Café 16 and Chef Zach Therioakes; Executive Chef Studio H Café, Dining at Microsoft, Redmond, WA
- Casual & Family Dining Restaurants: Chef Steven Sturm, Corporate Executive Chef, Firebirds Restaurants, Charlotte, NC
- Colleges & Universities: Chef Anthony Lauri, CEC, AAC, ACE, Executive Chef, Chartwells at University of Miami, Miami, FL
- Fine Dining Restaurants: Chef Leonard Hollander, Arbor, Chicago, IL
- Hotels & Healthcare: Chef Nazim Khan, CEC, Executive Chef, Bryant Health System, Lincoln, NE
- K-12 School Foodservice: Marilyn Hughes, PhD, RD, Director, Nutrition Department, Atlanta Public Schools, Atlanta, GA
- Quick Service Restaurants: Chef Oliver Plust, Executive Chef & General Manager, Tender Greens Hollywood, Hollywood, CA
Winners were selected from more than 120 nominations submitted across North America. A panel reviewed each nominee’s incorporation of fresh produce into menu development, use of food safety protocols for proper storage and handling of produce, leadership in produce related community service and special events and recognition by their company and industry peers.
The winners will be featured in a panel discussion on the United Fresh 2016 trade show floor in the Fresh Marketplace Learning Center on Wednesday, June 22, and will receive their awards at the Retail-Foodservice Celebration Dinner that evening.
For more information about the Produce Excellence in Foodservice Awards Program, contact Miriam Wolk, vice president of member services, at 202-303-3410. United Fresh will start accepting nominations for 2017 beginning this fall, with winners to be honored at United Fresh 2017 in Chicago.