Tropical Fruit Congress in Europe to focus on avocados
The 2020 Tropical Fruit Congress will focus on a rising star in Europe: the avocado.
The event, to be held Sept. 8-10, during Macfrut in Remini, Italy, will highlight avocados, which increased in European consumption by 19% last year.
An estimated 636,119 tonnes of avocados were consumed by Europeans in 2018-19, led by France, the UK, Germany and Spain. Denmark ranks first in per capita consumption at 2.69 kilogram per year. Norway, the Netherlands, France and Sweden also rated above 2 kilos per capita, according to data processed by CIRAD, based on EUROSTAT and professional sources.
Ten international speakers will share thoughts during the Tropical Fruit Congress. They include:
- Roberto Della Casa, Agroter/Bologna University
- Daria Lodi, CSO Italy
- Thomas Padilla, Senior Director of Export Sales, Mission Produce
- Said Bannany, Director of Total Exotics
- Pierre Escodo, Director of Eurofresh Distribution
- Michael Horney, Peruvian Agritrade
- Jorge Restrepo, Executive Director, Corpohass
- Andrea Passanisi, Sicilia Avocado
- Therese Bruwer, Westphalia
- Eelke Westra, Wageningen University
Roundtable discussions and workshops also are planned.
For more information, visit tropicalfruitcongress.com.
NOTE: This event was originally scheduled for May 5-7, but was postponed due to concerns over coronavirus.